What is God’s divine design? God’s divine design and only design for marriage was and is for one man and one woman to be in a covenant marriage for all time. Scripture is clear that God created Adam and that no other man was created. It is also just as clear that God created one woman for Adam, Eve, and that no other woman was created. God designed for the two of them, Adam and Eve, to be fruitful and multiply and fill the Earth. The Scriptures that back these statements up are as follows:
- Genesis 1:27: “So God created man in His own image; in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1 is a grand overview of creation. In it, we see that one man and one woman were created by God.
- Genesis 2:7: “And the LORD God formed man
of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” “And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man” (Genesis 2:21-22). In Genesis 2 we see a micro-view of creation; we see the particulars. One man and one woman that God created.
- Genesis 2:18: “And the LORD God said, ‘It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.’” Here we see that the man was by himself and that God was going to make for him the perfect mate. And as we saw in the passage above, God did just that!
- Matthew 19:4-6: “And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning made them male and female,’ and said ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man separate.” Here, Jesus speaks to the plan of one man for one woman for life! Jesus verifies God’s divine design and adds that no man is to tear it apart.
- Genesis 1:28: “Then God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.’” Adam and Eve were created perfectly by God and were set in a perfect world. Even after sin entered the world, they remained together, in good times and bad, until death did them part!