Scripture Passage: Philippians 3:18
As Christians of this day and age, our greatest need is to realize that we are pilgrims heading to a home which is not of this world.
The Apostle Paul wrote the Book of Philippians from a prison in Rome; a city of great hostility toward Christians. It was in this prison cell he told the church of Philippi: “Our citizenship is in heaven.” (Philippians 3:20) He points out the politics of those once born and of those twice born. We notice there is a great contrast in their affections, allegiance, and aspirations.
In order to understand the politics of pilgrims, we must first:
- Remember our mandate. Our mandate is still the Great Commission, preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth.
- Utilize the right method. Our ally is the Holy Spirit. Our source of supply is Almighty God. Our Commander in Chief is Jesus Christ. And our battle ax is the Word of God.
- Have the right mindset. Philippians 4:4 says, “Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, Rejoice.”
It’s easy to become bitter about what wicked people in power are doing. But we are supposed to keep our eyes on Jesus and rejoice always.
Knowing our politics, we can commit to the Pilgrim’s Resolution:
- “I will not despair.” Adrian Rogers says, “It may be possible for some earthly kingdom to be in decline and God’s kingdom to be doing quite well.”
- “I will not be intimidated.” Be encouraged when the polls do not turn in our favor: we belong in the minority. Jesus says in John 15:18, “If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.”
- “I will not be bitter.” Philippians 4:8 encourages us to dwell on “...whatsoever things are true… honest… just… pure… lovely… of good report… of any virtue… of any praise.”
- “I will not compromise.” Don’t stop voting or participating. Adrian Rogers says, “We must hold high the flag of Jesus Christ, the blood-stained banner of our Prince and King and never compromise Jesus Christ.”
Apply it to your life
As Adrian Rogers says, “Let the Congress make the laws. Let Hollywood run their garbage pit. Let Wall Street take care of the economy. And let’s tell this world about Jesus.”