An elderly nurse, a member of Charles Spurgeon’s congregation, was living in the poor house, and the great Spurgeon went to visit her. He saw a framed certificate on her wall that she had received when a wealthy man she had cared for died. She didn’t know what it was. Spurgeon read it and learned the man left her his vast estate. Yet she was living destitute, not knowing the value of what she’d been left.
When Jesus Christ ascended to Heaven, He left you an incredible gift—your spiritual gift. Maybe you’ve not discovered yet what you have in Jesus. Could it be you have it framed on the wall, not using it? Or have left your gift under the tree, unopened and unappreciated?
God didn’t save you to sit but to serve! He gave you a spiritual gift. “But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ” (Ephesians 4:7). If you’re a child of God, that includes you.
Grace here is the Greek word charis—a God-given spiritual ability for service and ministry. But like that poor woman, you may be a gifted child who doesn’t know what you have or how to use it.
Your spiritual gift goes beyond talent. You don’t choose your spiritual gift anymore than you choose your natural gifts—like the color of your eyes or skin. Just as you get natural talents genetically by your first birth, your spiritual gift is given to you at your new birth, the gift of your ascended Lord. It is supernatural. You can develop your natural gifts, and you can develop your supernatural gifts.
Wherefore he saith, When He [Jesus] ascended up on high, He led captivity [the devil] captive, and gave gifts unto men [you]. (Ephesians 4:8) When the Lord Jesus purchased our salvation, at the same time He broke Satan’s back. Satan’s kingdom came crashing down. His malevolent forces were crushed by Calvary. Jesus Christ led captivity captive. Satan had taken the world captive, but Jesus took Satan captive. His kingdom is ruined. The spoils of the battle—our grace gifts to serve our great King—are given to us.
Never despise or overlook your gift. It is a spiritual gift from our Conqueror, the Lord Jesus Christ.
God didn’t save you to be a member of Christians Anonymous. He put you here to serve; you’ve been called into the ministry. Your spiritual gift is to bless the church, not to bless you—not for your enjoyment but your employment. It’s a tool, not a toy.
Do you really want God to use you? Then stop praying for God to use you—get usable, and God will wear you out! Five principles will help you discover your spiritual gift:
• Desire. What do you enjoy doing? What do you do well naturally? What would be disappointing if you couldn’t do it?
• Discovery. You discover your gift as you endeavor to do it. Others will say, “You blessed me when you did that,” or “You’ve given me such wisdom here,” or “You have the ability to lead in this area.” Others will help you discover it.
• Development. As Paul told Timothy, stir up the gift of God. Study to show yourself approved. No matter what your gift is, like a natural talent, you must develop it through study and work.
• Dependence. Your spiritual gift must operate in the power of the Holy Spirit. Spiritual gifts operate with supernatural power. Depend upon the Holy Spirit.
• Deployment. Put it to work with other saints. In the fellowship of the church you’re going to discover your place. When these gifts work together, the body matures, and we become more and more like Jesus.
You are a gifted child. Don’t leave your gift hanging on the wall. Find out what God wants you to do and get busy doing it.
When you serve Him, joy begins to flow. Ask God to show you your ministry. Accept yourself, discover yourself, be yourself, and give yourself for the glory of God.
As you fill out your prayer request in the form below, here are a few reminders:
Your information is safe. Love Worth Finding does not sell, lease or rent confidential information.
When mentioning others in your request, please respect their privacy by using only their first name or initials.
Please be aware that once you opt in, you cannot stop email notifications for prayer requests at this time.
The Prayer Network is for prayer requests only. Responses to other requests, personal statements and solicitations may be removed without warning. Thank you for your cooperation in keeping this a safe and encouraging place!
Are you sure you want to submit this prayer request?