Before he ever rebuilt the fallen walls of Jerusalem, Nehemiah was a man of prayer, facing serious spiritual warfare. When we live for God, we find ourselves in a battle between light and darkness, death and life, Heaven and Hell. Every Christian is called to be a part of it.
Before we can identify our weapons in this warfare, we need to learn about our adversary, the devil. The Bible says we wrestle against “the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Eph. 6:12)Our intellect is no match for his subtlety and unrighteous spirituality, or his strength.
How are we supposed to fight this enemy? Ephesians 6:13-17 tells us to put on the armor of God:
- The Belt of Truth holds everything together, locked in for battle with the truth from Scripture.
- The Breastplate of Righteousness protects us from the enemy’s arrows of impurity.
- The Boots of Peace keep us encouraged as we tread through dangerous territory.
- The Shield of Faith protects us from the enemy’s attacks of doubt.
- The Helmet of Salvation gives us full assurance of God’s constant deliverance.
- The Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God.
Ephesians 6:18 says, “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.” Putting on the armor of God is preparing ourselves to pray in the Spirit. Adrian Rogers says, “Prayer is not getting ready to fight. That’s where the fight is…The devil mocks our schemes, he laughs at our toiling, but he fears our prayers.”
Praying in the Spirit listens to God. It is a prayer that abides and lovingly intercedes on behalf of others. It’s also hard work; it takes blood, sweat and tears to pray in the Spirit.
Though it takes much work, praying in the Spirit is the weapon of our warfare that Satan cannot stand against.
Apply it to your life
Put on the armor of God and go to battle. Pray in the Spirit; listen to God, abide, intercede for others, and embrace the hard work it takes.
This message is a part of this audio series.
Would you like to receive updates from Love Worth Finding?
Would you like to receive the Daily Heartbeat devotional by email?