Scripture Passage: Proverbs 6:16
Pride is a dangerous sin. Nothing brings more destruction to our nation, our homes, and our relationships than a prideful spirit.
But it is also a deceptive sin. The proud ones are the least likely to admit their pride. They are quite proud of their humility. We call many things today pride that are not really pride. A good self-image is not pride. Self-esteem is not pride. Receiving honor or merited awards is not pride.
What is the pride that the Bible condemns? It is an attitude of independence from God. Pride is the basic sin and the root cause for all other sins. Pride leads the parade, and God hates it.
There are five reasons found in the Book of Proverbs as to why the peril of pride is something to be taken seriously and to be dealt with immediately.
- Pride provokes deity. It is an abomination to God. You provoke God to anger when there is pride in your heart. God literally becomes your adversary.
- Pride proves depravity. Anytime a person has pride in his heart it is there because it was born in him. It is not something we learn, it is something we inherit.
- Pride promotes dissension. There has never been an argument where pride was not the major factor.
- Pride promotes dishonor. In the pursuit of honor, pride brings shame. Proverbs 19:23 says, “A man’s pride shall bring him low, but honor shall uphold the humble in spirit.”
- Pride precedes destruction. Proverbs 16:18 reminds us of the plans for anything rooted in a prideful spirit: “Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.”
Pride is a matter of the heart, and there is much to be done about it. If we are not right with God, we cannot be right with one another.
Adrian Rogers says, “There are no problems too big to solve, only people too small to solve them.” “There is none so bad he cannot be saved, there is none so good he doesn’t need saving.” It begins with humbling yourself before the Lord.
Apply it to your life
Knowing the serious peril of pride, take some time today to evaluate your heart. Do you have a pride-issue? Are you facing the consequences of a prideful spirit without even knowing it? Humble yourself before the Lord, and ask Him for forgiveness.