Scripture Passage: Proverbs 29:2
God has ordained our government and commanded us to get involved in the decisions made for the leadership of our country. Adrian Rogers says, “Leadership is really stewardship because the leader acts for God.”
Jesus taught us to participate in government when He said "We are to render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s. We’re to render to God the things that are God’s. (Matthew 22:21) There are four basic principles to consider when responding to the leadership crisis in America.
Think first about the character that God requires in leadership. God blesses good character over ability. When you go to vote, consider the following qualities that God requires:
- Godliness: Nobody is fit for leadership who is ungodly or unrighteous.
- Wisdom: Does your candidate have the wisdom that can only be given by God?
- Honesty: Proverbs 20:28 says, “Mercy and truth preserve the king.”
- Discernment: Someone who is able to distinguish between good and bad.
- Sexual Morality: If a man has no moral standard of his own, he can’t set a moral standard for the nation.
- Sober: Look for a leader who is not only sober-minded but simply sober.
- Protective: A good leader protects the weak and defends those who cannot defend themselves.
Secondly, remember the choice that God respects. God allows us to choose against His will, and that is the reason we receive the poor leadership we deserve. Adrian Rogers says, “Wicked rulers are God’s reward for wicked people.”
Third, see the consequences that God reveals. It is deeply disturbing to consider that America doesn’t know the trouble she’s in on the path she’s currently walking. Proverbs 29:2 says, “When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; but when a wicked man rules, the people groan.”
But ultimately, remember the control that God reserves. Even if wicked men make wicked choices for wicked rulers, God has forsaken control. God is still the King of kings. Again, Adrian Rogers says, “If we do not allow God to rule in America, God will still overrule.”
Apply it to your life
What should we do about the leadership crisis in America?
- Pray for revival.
- Prepare for suffering.
- Prepare for His arrival.
Let the voting polls be a reminder: Jesus is coming…soon!.
These resources are now available in multiple formats. You can print from either version. The Word version is editable.