Financial FreedomOctober 28, 2019 - Proverbs 3:7-10
Adrian RogersSave Article
Scripture Passage: Proverbs 3:7-10
In the Book of Nehemiah, the people of Jerusalem were rebuilding after the city-wide destruction. Many were poor and enslaved by their deep debt. However, some of the rich also were enslaved—not by debt, but by wealth. They were extorting, conniving, and using unethical methods to get money.
We learn that financial bondage is being a slave to money, no matter how much or how little you have. God doesn’t want His people, whether they be poor or rich, to be in financial bondage. God’s plan for His children is to have liberty and freedom.
- The first principle of financial freedom is priority. God will not take second place to anybody or anything. The fear of God is not only the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 1:7); it’s the beginning of wealth.
- The second principle is industry (work). The lazy man is not going to prosper, and it’s not because God has not answered his prayer or has failed him. It is because he doesn’t work and God will not bless him. God wants you to use your work to serve and glorify Him.
- The third principle is generosity. The more you share, the more you have; the more you hoard, the less you have.
- The fourth principle is reliability. God can be depended upon. He is worthy of your trust, even in your finances.
- The fifth principle is integrity. When you are presented with the opportunity to obtain wealth at the expense of someone else, or at the expense of your character, do not take it. This is not God’s way to prosperity, it is a chance to show your integrity.
Here was a man, Nehemiah, who knew total financial freedom in a time of depression, drought, high taxes, mortgage their houses. His prayer was not for riches. His prayer was for provision to get the job done.
This should be our prayer, too. Be in the will of God and let God supply your need.
Apply it to your life
Are you in financial bondage? Think of these principles. Is God first? Have you been diligent? Have you had an open hand or a clenched fist? Have you been trusting in God or in uncertain riches? Have you lived with integrity? Are you believing and trusting God according to these other things to take care of you? Find financial freedom in God’s provision today.