What Is Keeping You from Following Jesus Fully?September 18, 2020 Save Article
“Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!”
Not all stories have a happy ending. I like stories that end, “And they lived happily ever after.” But this one has a tragic ending. It's the story of a rich young man who blew it. He lost his soul. I call it “the suicide of a soul.”
This young man had so much going for him.
- He had riches, rank, and religion, but he was humble; he came kneeling.
- He was spiritually minded; he wanted to inherit eternal life.
- He recognized Jesus’ authority when he called Him “master”
- He recognized Jesus’ goodness when he called Him “good.”
- He saw something in Jesus he'd not seen in anyone else: Jesus alone had the answer to eternal life.
Yet the account ends with “he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.”
A soul is the most precious thing on earth, the most valuable thing you have. Jesus said, "What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Mark 8:36-37) I’m convinced Jesus loved you so much He would have died for you if you had been the only soul needing salvation. That's how much He loves you.
What was it that kept this young man from leaving all behind to fully follow Jesus? For you, it may not be possessions. What do you need to lay aside to fully follow Jesus?found this helpful. Did you find it helpful?