Test For False CultsJanuary 8, 2018 Save Article
Our Lord said, “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves” (Matthew 7:15). How are you going to find out whether a prophet is speaking truth? I want to give you some tests.
• The Source Test. Is the Bible God’s holy Word? The revelation God gave through His Word must be this person’s source of truth.
• The Savior Test. Ask this person, “Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, the Son of God, and God the Son?”
• The Subject Test. You need to find out whether this prophet’s primary task is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This person may have ulterior motives.
• The Salvation Test. Does this “man of God” believe in salvation by grace through faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His atoning work on Calvary as the only basis for the forgiveness of sins? Or is he adding to the Word of God another condition of salvation?
• The Sanctification Test. Is this person living a righteous and holy life?
In my estimation, if a person passes these tests, you can say, “I have a brother or sister in the Lord Jesus Christ.”
Would you like to receive updates from Love Worth Finding?
Would you like to receive the Daily Heartbeat devotional by email?