Last time in the article “The Battle is On!” we looked at the all-out war declared upon the family, the nation, and your heart. We saw that the family is the only part of the Garden of Eden we have left; therefore Satan wars against it.
THE CHRISTIAN WARRIOR AND HIS ARMOR
Unless we learn spiritual warfare, we’re going to lose the battle. Satan counts on you not knowing that God has equipped you with weapons to defeat him.
“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. (Ephesians 6:10-11)
To war against Satan, a spiritual being, our weapons must suit the target.
“The weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds.” (2 Corinthians 10:4)
WHOLE ARMOR, HOLY ARMOR
What are these spiritual weapons?
1. The girdle of truth (integrity). “Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth”(v. 14) Early warriors wore a leather belt. If it came loose, everything else fell apart. Truth is not just knowledge about facts. Truth is integrity in the inner person. If I could see your heart or read your mind as God does, would I be disappointed? Do you have on that belt of truth?
2. The breastplate of righteousness (purity). “…and having on the breastplate of righteousness” (v. 14). A soldier’s breastplate of metal plates or chains covered his body from chest to waist to protect his heart and vital organs. A crack in the armor could be deadly. Do you have on the breastplate of righteousness? Is there any unconfessed, unrepented sin? What about dishonesty? Pride? Selfishness? There’s no reason you cannot be as pure as the driven snow. Why start the day dragging around the baggage of sin when you can be clean? It’s so simple. “If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9) Don’t have a crack in the armor. You need purity when you go into battle against sin.
3. The shoes of the gospel of peace (tranquility). “Your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace” (v. 15). A soldier’s boots dug his feet into the turf so he could stand. What gives you standing? The gospel of peace, knowing there is nothing between my soul and the Savior. I am His, He is mine, I am at peace with God. People yield to sin because they’re hungry, lonely, distraught, unsatisfied, trying to find what the heart yearns for. Your heart will never rest until you find your peace in the Lord Jesus Christ.
4. The shield of faith (certainty).“Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.” (v.16) In the battle you must be locked onto the fact that the Bible is the Word of God. This book is the shield of faith. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. That’s the reason there is such a battle against the Bible. The first accusation in the Garden of Eden was against the Word of God. Faith rooted in the Word gives stability. When Satan comes with fiery darts, faith, our shield, stops him. Overcome him with the Word.
5. The helmet of salvation (sanity). “And take the helmet of salvation…” (v. 17). He’s not just talking about getting saved but keeping your mind protected. The head directs the whole body. Have your mind renewed, under the blood.
These are the protective weapons God wants you clothed in each day: integrity, purity, tranquility, certainty, sanity.
In the morning, run down a check list:
Do I have on the belt of truth? Do I believe truth, live truth, tell truth?
The breastplate of righteousness—is my heart pure?
The shoes of peace. Am I at peace or envying something someone else has? Is there resentment, bitterness or loneliness that I’m not letting Jesus fill?
I take up the shield of faith. Is there anything I’m doubting God about?
I put on the helmet of salvation.
Once dressed, like a solider with all his equipment, I’m ready to go. Don’t leave off any piece of the armor in this battle.
If you think about it, each piece of armor is really the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Truth. Jesus is our righteousness. Jesus is our faith. Jesus is our salvation. SO what’s the key to being armed and ready? Put on the Lord Jesus Christ.
As you fill out your prayer request in the form below, here are a few reminders:
Your information is safe. Love Worth Finding does not sell, lease or rent confidential information.
When mentioning others in your request, please respect their privacy by using only their first name or initials.
Please be aware that once you opt in, you cannot stop email notifications for prayer requests at this time.
The Prayer Network is for prayer requests only. Responses to other requests, personal statements and solicitations may be removed without warning. Thank you for your cooperation in keeping this a safe and encouraging place!
Are you sure you want to submit this prayer request?