Satan's Four Spiritual Flaws
Genesis 3:1-5 (Program: 0214, Air date: 1.12.2014)
- The world’s biggest liar is Satan himself.
- In the Gospel of John, Jesus warns us of Satan’s ways.
- John 8:44
- John 10:10
- Satan’s motive is murder.
- He wants to bring physical, spiritual and eternal death.
- Satan’s method is the lie.
- He wants to deceive, to deprave and to destroy.
- Satan lies about the biggest subject; the biggest subject is God.
- Revelation 12:9
- Genesis 3 records the first lie ever told.
- Satan uses the same devices today as he used against Eve in the Garden of Eden in order to deceive us into believing lies about God.
- SPIRITUAL FLAW #1 TO DESPISE GOD’S GOODNESS AND TO THINK NEGATIVELY ABOUT GOD (Genesis 3:1)
- Satan will attempt to get us to doubt God’s goodness and love.
- This is slander against the character of God.
- Satan’s query in Genesis 3:1 was his way of saying that God is not good; that God did not want Eve to have all of the good fruit in the Garden. When, in fact, God had said in Genesis 2:16 that she could eat of every tree of the Garden except one.
- God is not cruel. The truth is that God desires for us to have pleasure and fulfillment.
- Psalm 37:4
- Psalm 84:11
- 1 Timothy 6:17
- Anything in this life that causes pain and suffering is the fruit of sin, which began with man’s choice in the Garden of Eden.
- SPIRITUAL FLAW #2 TO DENY GOD’S TRUTHFULNESS AND TO THINK SKEPTICALLY ABOUT GOD (Genesis 3:2-4)
- Satan questions God’s truthfulness; his desire is that we become doubters of God.
- In today’s culture, we have substituted many ideals for God’s absolute truth:
- Relativism there are no absolutes.
- Subjectivism what truth means to me.
- Rationalism empirical truth; truth must be observed.
- Pragmatism does it work?
- Post-modernism there is no truth.
- Psalm 11:3
- SPIRITUAL FLAW #3 TO DEFY GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS AND TO THINK CARELESSLY ABOUT GOD (Genesis 3:4)
- Satan, in essence, told Eve not to worry about God’s judgment or God’s laws; that there was no reason to fear God.
- We must remember that God is righteous and God is holy.
- Law without penalty is only advice; God will punish sin.
- Satan does not want people to believe that there is a final death and judgment to face. Hence, we have substituted the truth of judgment with ideas such as reincarnation.
- SPIRITUAL FLAW #4 - TO DEBASE GOD’S GREATNESS AND TO THINK SUSPICIOUSLY ABOUT GOD (Genesis 3:5)
- Satan communicated to Eve that God could not be trusted. He also communicated to Eve that her eyes were not yet opened; that she had no experience to determine whether or not the thing was good or bad.
- We often hear today that experience is the best teacher.
- The second deception Satan used in this passage was the temptation to be as God.
- There is a big difference in being like God and being as God. God’s plan is for us to be like Him.
- God made us in His image; and even though we are fallen, God is working toward that plan of conforming us into the image of His Son.
- Psalm 17:15
- The way to overcome Satan is described in Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.”
- Jesus paid the price for us on Calvary.
- We should not be ashamed to proclaim our faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Mark 8:38
- We should love our Lord Jesus Christ more than we love our own lives.
Read of lives transformed by Adrian Rogers' plea of Come to Jesus.
find your station
Check out when and where messages are playing in your area on radio and TV.
DO YOU HAVE A PRAYER NEED?
It would be our privilege to pray for you. Use the form to send us a request.