How To Pray In The Spirit
Romans 8 (Program 1975, Air dates 01.20.2013 & 01.27.2013)
- INTRODUCTION (Romans 8:26-27)
- Prayer is the greatest Christian privilege and service; it is also the greatest Christian failure.
- Many Christians struggle with:
- The problem of indifference we really don’t want to pray.
- The problem of ignorance we don’t know how to pray or what to pray for.
- The problem of inability we don’t have the energy and the strength to pray.
- The problem of language we don’t know how to form and articulate our prayers.
- The problem of satanic attack when we endeavor to pray, the devil comes in to invade our minds and draw away our attention.
- God knows that we struggle with these issues in our prayer life; therefore, He has given us Someone to help. That Someone is the Holy Spirit.
- Two examples among several verses in Scripture that teach us to pray in the Spirit:
- Ephesians 6:18
- Jude 20
- THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN THE ACTIVATION OF OUR WILLS IN PRAYER (Romans 8:5-8)
- To pray in the flesh is to fail; to pray in the Spirit is to succeed.
- Most of us don’t pray because we don’t want to pray. Why do we not want to pray? Because the flesh doesn’t like it.
- If we are Spirit-filled, then we will have a desire to pray.
- Romans 8:15
- Galatians 4:6
- Philippians 2:13
- THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN THE ANIMATION OF OUR BODIES IN PRAYER (Romans 8:10-11)
- Sometimes when we pray, we become sleepy, tired, can’t concentrate, etc. There is the need for legitimate rest; but this refers to those moments when the devil teams up with our flesh to prevent us from praying.
- Mark 6:31
- Matthew 26:40-41
- John 4:32
- The Holy Spirit will help us with our weaknesses.
- Romans 8:26
- How should we approach our weaknesses?
- We should admit our weaknesses.
- View our weaknesses as an asset.
- 2 Corinthians 12:9
- God’s plan is to deliver us from our self-sufficiency and for us to cast ourselves upon His sufficiency.
- The word “helpeth” in Romans 8:26 means “together with” and “instead of”. Prayer is a partnership between us and the Holy Spirit: the Holy Spirit of God helps us “together with” and “instead of”. The Holy Spirit prays to the Father instead of us and together with us.
- Luke 10:40
- THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN THE ADAPTATION OF OUR REQUESTS (Romans 8:26-27)
- Sometimes we don’t know what to pray for; but the Holy Spirit knows what to ask for.
- Romans 8:14
- Our responsibility is to go ahead and pray, with a right spirit, even when we’re unsure how to pray or what to ask for. The Holy Spirit of God knows what we need, and He will adapt our prayers.
- John 17:24
- THE HOLY SPIRIT PRESIDES OVER THE ADMINISTRATION OF OUR ACCESS (Romans 8:14-15)
- The Holy Spirit gives us access to the Father.
- Ephesians 2:18
- We pray to God through Jesus in the Spirit.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN THE ARTICULATION OF OUR WORDS (Romans 8:26)
- Sometimes our thoughts and burdens are too heavy to be expressed in words. This is when the Holy Spirit merges with our spirit in wordless prayer groanings too deep to be uttered.
- Romans 8:22-23
- THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN THE ENUNCIATION OF OUR CONFIDENCE (Romans 8:28)
- God’s plan is not to make us healthy, wealthy, and happy; His plan is to conform us into the image of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We may ask for one thing, but the Holy Spirit of God gives us another in order to make us more and more like Jesus.
- Prayer is God’s plan to make us like Jesus.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN THE AMPLIFICATION OF OUR VICTORY (Romans 8:31-32)
- The devil doesn’t want us to pray and will do all he can to prevent us from praying. That’s why we cannot pray in the flesh we’re no match for Satan.
- But when we pray in the Spirit, if God be for us, who can be against us?
Read of lives transformed by Adrian Rogers' plea of Come to Jesus.
find your station
Check out when and where messages are playing in your area on radio and TV.
DO YOU HAVE A PRAYER NEED?
It would be our privilege to pray for you. Use the form to send us a request.